My lovely Blogger followers!

Thursday 6 August 2009

In the nick of time...

Well I did it - I created my first week's card for this blog as I promised myself! But it was really close - I nearly cheated by publishing a card I have in stock, but I knew I had to keep my promise to myself!
Here it is, a card for my friend's new baby girl, Zara...





I started out with a shabby chic style in my head - I even had the crochet flower, lace and pins at the ready! No matter how hard I tried, it just wasn't working out for me. I ended up making this instead with a cleaner look. I got some inspiration from a card magazine, but unfortunately I can't remember which one - sorry magazine!

The photo doesn't do it justice, even if I say so myself - lol!! I put sticky pads behind the giraffe so it pops more than the photo suggests. The colours in real life are that bit brighter too. One of these days I'm going to find out how to use my Canon digital camera to best effect - maybe then I won't feel like I've wasted my money and should have got a throw away one instead!

I even went to the trouble of decorating the inside. I love the Hampton Arts Our Baby set - the sentiments are very thoughtful in a lovely feminine font. In case you can't read the text, this one says "Sometimes it's the smallish things that take up the most room in your heart." So sweet!

In comparison to the card I showed a couple of days ago... well there is no comparison! I so much more prefer this one! The proportions are right, the embellishments co-ordinate and there's a better use of the space. What would I change? I would make the cream/pink/green rectangular matting (that the giraffe sits on) narrower, perhaps a centimetre off. I don't particularly like the hole for the eye either - I originally intended to put a mini button there but I didn't have one small enough! A small gem wasn't right against the rest of the very mat look. I do like the mat look, but a subtle sheen probably would have finished it off perfectly - Glimmer Mist on the giraffe's spots and horns comes to mind. Overall though, very happy with it (and I'm a huge perfectionist!).

Here's what I used:

Papers/cardstock: K&Co Brenda Walton Small Wonders Girl mat pad
Stamps: Hampton Art Our Baby clear stamp set
Accents: green/white gingham from stash, mini heart buttons from stash
Tools: Fiskars Apron Lace border punch, Sizzix Original Giraffe #2, Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels 1, hole punch (for giraffe spots), wavy decorative edge scissors

1 comment:

Jamie Nania said...

That's a really cute baby card.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin